Most courses in the chemical engineering curriculum have prerequisites that qualify students to be admitted to more advanced classes. The prerequisites are carefully chosen to prepare student for each future course as well as professional engineering endeavors. Taking courses in the correct sequence provides the maximum chance for success at the university and beyond. Moreover, accreditation of the department by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) requires students to comply with prerequisites.
Prerequisites for each course are listed in the official university catalog. Students should be aware of the following concerning prerequisites.
- Grades of E, I, W, or WE mean the prerequisite has not been met.
- Concurrent enrollment does not satisfy prerequisite requirements except in cases found here.
- Students taking Independent Study courses that are prerequisites should ensure they complete all work early enough for the grade to be posted prior to the start of the next semester.
Common problems with prerequisites are:
- Students delay/drop Chem 467 and cannot take Ch En 373.
- Students delay/drop Engl 316 and cannot take Ch En 475.
- Students delay/drop Stat 201 and cannot take Ch En 475.
- Students delay/drop Ch En 376 and cannot take Ch En 475.
- Students delay/drop Ch En 311 and cannot take Ch En 376.
- Students delay/drop Ch En 476 and cannot take Ch En 451.
- Students delay/drop Ch En 476 and cannot take Ch En 477.