Dr. Pitt awarded the Outstanding Interdisciplinary Research Award by the American University of Sharjah’s College of Engineering.
The Department of Chemical Engineering exists to support the mission of BYU by preparing students for:
- Lives of Scholarship and Continuous Learning
- Lives of Service to Family, Church, Community, and Profession
- Lives of Engineering Products, Processes, and Policies to Improve the Quality of Life for all Humanity
The Department of Chemical Engineering fully supports the mission of BYU and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to educate the whole person. Thus, the faculty seek to promote an atmosphere consistent with the gospel of Jesus Christ as a foundation for teaching and learning chemical engineering principles.
Chemical Engineering at Brigham Young University was officially initiated in 1955 as part of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. In 1958, a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was formed. The undergraduate program was first accredited in 1961 and has been accredited ever since. A Masters degree in chemical engineering was approved in 1962, and the PhD program received approval in 1968. Today, the department graduates numerous Bachelors, Masters, and PhD students.
For a more detailed history published, see the following CEE article.